Sunday, September 2, 2012

Triggers and Warnings

Lundy Watches...

Stories sometimes contain a plot or an image that can cause an involuntary reaction from someone so strong that they feel severe discomfort from having viewed or read about it. While none of my reviews will contain anything so offensive, I will make every attempt to label them with certain warnings so as to keep potential readers from viewing something that may surprise them with a sensitive subject matter.

The difference between a "trigger" and a "warning" is the subject of some debate, but here I've chosen to separate the two based on how I feel in regards to each case.

On the subject of triggers, those events that can cause post-traumatic flashbacks or strong emotional disturbance, I will be tagging things such as "Trigger: Racism," or "Trigger: Drug Abuse," in order to warn anyone who may not wish to be subjected to such stories from watching those specific episodes. While the reviews for episodes with tagged triggers should still remain fairly readable without causing undue stress, it may still be worth consideration to avoid reading those reviews as well, just in case.

As for warnings, those are the issues that are somewhat prevalent on television, such as violence and sexual content, which likely could occur in any series on basic cable but are subject to viewer discretion warnings. Warnings themselves surely would have no impact on the reviews, as I can't imagine going into detail about the nudity or coarse language within an episode, and entries marked with such warnings should be safe to read in the workplace.

Naturally, it may occur that I have missed labeling a trigger or warning during the review process, and should you watch along with me, and come across something that I've missed, please feel free to let me know and I will correct my mistake.

0 comments:

Post a Comment