Sunday, September 9, 2012

Reviews in Review

Lundy Watches...
The shows that will be watched for this blog are to be revealed during the week, one each day, and the proper reviews will begin the week after. As for today, I thought it might be of interest to some to see how I structure my reviews, in part so my readers have a better understanding of what I've put together, but also for the chance that someone might have any suggestions to improve on what I'm doing.

The review will always start with a brief synopsis of the episode, which can be found on the blog's main page before the cut. I will generally try to avoid major spoilers in my reviews, and the synopsis won't go into any great depth, but it will give a basic idea of the story.

After the cut will be a vague recap of what has come before, or, as was the case during Pilot Season, a brief history of how the series relates to me.

The next 2 paragraphs will be things that I liked about the episode, either because they stood out as something great in regards to the series, or because I just really liked that they were included. The 2 paragraphs to follow afterwards will be things that I didn't like about the episode, because they were distracting or simply because I just didn't like them.

A mention of acting, directing, and writing will each have their own paragraph in the review, usually in that order. In the case of animation, the acting is all in the voice work and how it relates to the expressions being shown on-screen.

Naturally, the closing paragraph will be the conclusion, including any story elements that I think are being set up, or speculation as to what I think might happen.

Hopefully this is a structure that works and that you enjoy, and thank you for reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment